Call Premier Solicitors01234 358 080
law firm image

Arrangements for Children

If you have children and your relationship breaks down, one of your priorities will be to protect them and to ensure their physical and emotional wellbeing comes first.

Expert Service Competitively Priced

Welcome to Premier Solicitors

A leading law firm staffed by lawyers devoted to providing a professional and affordable legal service on a comprehensive range of legal services.

01234 358 080
Meet the Team

Children and Separation

During this difficult process, it may be the case that you and your partner may not be able to agree on the arrangements for the children and issues may arise over which parent a child should live with and the frequency of contact with the other parent.

At Premier Solicitors, we have a highly experienced, dedicated and committed team who can assist, to ensure you understand your legal rights, responsibilities and the options available to you such as Mediation, Negotiation or issuing Court Proceedings.

From 22 April 2014, Contact and Residence Orders are no longer available and have been replaced with Child Arrangements Orders. This is essentially an Order which regulates whom a child lives with and has contact with.

As a parent you can also make an application to the court for the following orders, depending on your circumstances, namely:

International Relocation

One of the most difficult situations a parent may have to deal with is, when one parent wishes to relocate with the children and live in another country. The parent wishing to relocate cannot do so without the consent of all the individuals who hold parent responsibility for the child or without the courts permission.

Again at Premier Solicitors, we have a family team, with considerable experience in leave to remove cases, please contact us for further advice.


Grandparents (and other relatives) have to seek the courts permission in the first instance to enable them to proceed with their application under the Children Act 1989.

However, permission will usually be granted since the court recognises that it is in the child's best interest to maintain a relationship with extended members of the family whom the child has formed a close bond with.

If you are a grandparent and want further advice in this area and of your options please do not hesitate to contact us.


A step-parent is a person who is either married to or is the civil partner of a child's parent. Circumstances may arise where the natural parent of the child may want to give a step-parent a legal status, for example where a child's natural parents have died, and the stepparent is left looking after the child. In these situations, although adoption may be a solution, the process in itself can be complicated, and it may be suitable to consider other alternatives such as Child Arrangements Orders to give the step-parent, parental responsibility for the child. For further information on this area, please contact us.

Financial Provision for Children under Schedule 1 Children Act 1989

Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989 enables an unmarried parent, guardian, special guardian or a person in whose favour a Residence Order has been made to apply to the Court for financial provision for a child.

It is primarily used to ensure adequate provision of a home for a child and/or to obtain an award of periodical payments in cases where the non-resident parent has an income which exceeds the Child Support Agency's maximum.

The Court can make a range of orders, which include the following:

Schedule 1 provides important financial remedies for the parents of dependent children.

Call us today on 01234 35 80 80 to speak to a member of our qualified team.

Premier Solicitors Bedford
Dear Visitor

This website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience. Cookies are small files that are stored on your device when you visit a website. They allow us to recognise your device and remember your preferences and settings.

Do you accept the placement of non-essential cookies?

We use cookies for the following purposes:

1. Performance and Analytics. We use cookies to track how our website is performing, including page load times and website traffic. This helps us to improve the website and provide a better user experience.

2. Personalisation. We use cookies to remember your preferences and settings, such as language preference and font size. This ensures that you have a consistent experience when using our website.

3. Advertising. We use cookies to personalise the advertisements you see on our website. This helps us to provide relevant content and offers that may be of interest to you.

By using our website, you consent to the use of cookies as outlined in this notice. Please note that you can disable cookies at any time by changing your browser settings. However, please be aware that some features of our website may not function properly if cookies are disabled.

If you have any questions about our use of cookies, please contact us by email at
Premier Solicitors (Bedford) Limited