Solicitor Bedford ~ Lawyers Bedford ~ Child Care Protection Bedford ~ Commercial Law Bedford ~ Conveyancing Bedford ~ Matrimonial Law Bedford


Fixed Fee Court of Protection Deputyship Applications

Has your family member or friend lost mental capacity? Worried about a loved one’s ability to manage their affairs?

We are here to help

When a family member or friend loses mental capacity it can be a stressful and difficult time.

There are many reasons why a person in your life may no longer be able to manage their own financial affairs or make informed decisions about their personal welfare. This is known as loss of mental capacity.

The following can affect someone’s mental capacity:

  • Dementia
  • Alzheimer’s
  • Learning disabilities
  • Mental health issues
  • Brain injuries/ serious head injuries

In order to take control of a loved one or family member’s affairs you may need to apply to become a Deputy if there is not a Lasting Power of Attorney in place. A Deputy is responsible for the vulnerable person's decisions about issues like property and finance, and occasionally healthcare. Deputyship is usually given to a close family member or friend or to a professional and must be applied for through the Court of Protection.

We’re on hand to help 9am-7pm Monday – Friday and will give you a dedicated case manager. We do not charge upfront fees so you will not be faced with bills you cannot pay. Our costs are billed at the end of the application process and the Court allows payment to be made out of the funds of the incapacitated person as the Order is made on their behalf.

We are a Lexcel Accredited law firm. This is a nationally recognised quality mark for law firms. We are committed to providing suitable solutions and excellent customer service at low fixed costs.

We have a specialised Court of Protection team who deal with a wide range of Court of Protection matters. We have two Deputies here at Premier Solicitors.
Sunil Kambli (Founding Partner at Premier Solicitors) is one of only 68 Panel Deputies in the country appointed by the Court of Protection and the Office of the Public Guardian, and also deals with financial abuse cases with complex family dynamics, business matters, international issues and overseas property.  Sunil is also a Chartered Accountant, Chartered Tax Adviser and Notary Public, and can be contacted on  

Rakash Mattu is a professional Deputy who works to the same ‘gold standard’ as the Panel Deputy.

How we can help:

  • Deputyship Applications
  • Appointment of Trustees for property sales
  • Supporting for Deputies in carrying out their duties
  • Statutory Wills, Codicils and Gifts
  • Deprivation of Liberty Applications
  • Interim and short orders
  • Urgent applications
  • Disputes with Deputies/Attorneys
  • Disputed application appointments
  • Disputed Health and Welfare Applications
  • Disputes regarding mismanagement of someone’s affairs
  • Cases involving Criminal Injury Compensation awards and serious brain injuries
  • Probate services
  • Acting as a Professional Deputy/Attorney

Whatever the circumstances, we are here to help.


Our fees

A Deputyship application starts from £950 + VAT in line with the Court of Protection solicitors’ fixed costs.
If you also require authority to sell any property, a separate application will have to be made to the Court of Protection. Our fee for this is £500 plus VAT.
There are some disbursements, primarily a £365 court fee, but these will be clearly set out for you prior to the start of the application process.
We are upfront with you about the cost of the service and will not undertake any work without your agreement.
The fees are billed at the end of the application process and the Court allows payment to be made out of the funds of the incapacitated person as the Order is made on their behalf. Therefore you will not be expected to pay any upfront costs other than the disbursements as mentioned above.



What is the Court of Protection?

The Court of Protection is a specialist Court who makes decisions on applications which involve people who lack mental capacity who are especially vulnerable and are unable to make decisions themselves, such as appointing a Deputy. The Court of Protection will always make decisions in the best interests of the individual.

Deputyship – who needs one?

When a friend or loved one has lost their ability to manage their own financial affairs (often referred to as the loss of mental capacity), the Court of Protection  appoints someone to do this on their behalf. This person is known as a Deputy and is given the legal authority to manage the day to day financial affairs of the person who has lost the mental capacity.

It is important to remember that someone may be able to make decisions about everyday issues like what to eat or what to wear, but can lack the mental capacity to make decisions on more complex issues, like financial management.

Who can apply to be a deputy?

Anyone over the age of 18 can apply to act as a Deputy. Usually a friend or relative will be the most suitable person to apply, but it is the Court of Protection who has the final say in who can act.

In some cases it may not be suitable for a friend or relative to act and the Court will appoint an approved Deputy (“a Panel Deputy”) to act.

We understand that managing a loved one’s affairs can be daunting responsibility. If you feel that you cannot undertake this task, you may choose to appoint a solicitor to step in as Deputy and act in their professional capacity and we offer this.

What does the Deputy do?

A Deputy is responsible for taking on the responsibilities of another person and it is important that a Deputy considers this carefully before making an application.

We would recommend that at least two persons should apply to become Deputy to help ease the burden of responsibility.

A Deputy must comply with the Court Order and should always act in the best interests of the incapacitated person.

The Deputy is responsible for the finances and bills of the person they are acting for.

The Deputy may have to submit an annual account to the Office of the Public Guardian.

Are there different types of Deputyship?

Yes, there are 2 types of Deputyship Orders that the Court of Protection can make:

Property and Financial Affairs – these are the most common of Deputyship Order and allow a Deputy to manage a person’s property finances. This includes gaining access to bank accounts, shares and property.

Health and Welfare – The Court of Protection will only grant this Order in certain situations such as to decide a specific matter.

Who are the OPG?

The OPG or Office of the Public Guardian are the supervising body for Deputies, providing support to Deputies and safeguarding vulnerable adults. They ensure that the Deputies carry out the duties correctly and are able to assist Deputies with any queries they may have.

What is a Statutory Will and Statutory Gifts?

A Deputy may apply to the Court of Protection to make a Will behalf of the incapacitated person. This is known as a Statutory Will.

An individual’s Will may be out of date or worried that someone may benefit when it would be unfair for them to do so. If the individual does not have a Will then their estate will be distributed in accordance with the Intestacy rules. This might mean that their assets are not dealt with in accordance with their wishes.

Deputies may apply to the Court for a gift from the incapacitated person to be approved. Common types of gifts are money to family members or donations to charity. This is known as a Statutory gift. The gift itself has to be reasonable and proportional.

Please call our Court of Protection team on 01234 358 080 (Option 8) or or complete our enquiry form

© Copyright 2015 - Adviser Pro - All Rights ReservedDesigned, Developed and Licenced by Adviser Pro © 2015

Wills Bedford ~ Probate Bedford ~ Power of Attorney Bedford ~ Legal Business Advice Bedford ~ Personal Injury Bedford
Civil Litigation Bedford ~ General Litigation Bedford